Benvenuto, Guest
Username: Password: Remember

TOPIC: Film: North Face - A true story (on the Eiger North)

Film: North Face - A true story (on the Eiger North) 29/09/2010 03:19 #735

Dear Members,

I wish to suggest, to those who had not already done so, the movie "North Face? A True Story" by Philipp Stölzl. And 'a rare chance to see a mountaineering film on the big screen, however well made. In fact, if we exclude the "walk" in the wall of the "girl" and some inaccuracy, all things considered forgivable, the film is well shot. The photography is great, as the plot is obviously exciting. The story of the infamous attempt the first ascent of the Eiger North, by Toni Kurz, Andi, Willy Angerer and Edi Rainer. The costumes and vintage equipment are loyal and bring a bit 'of nostalgia, even to us that we are far from that period. The train, with the guide in the flesh that tells the story is far more fascinating than the current one, with the cold TV off the bench, which now no one to hear. The only flaw of this feature is the translation, done in a somewhat ' "personal". However, the impressive images will not leave certain forget easily.

On the same story there is also the beautiful documentary by Joe Simpson broadcast in Italian History Channel "The lure of silence". In this case the facts are presented in an impeccable way and I must say that it is no less exciting than the movies, but ...

The "pirates" also point out that the "loop" of e-mule already running version in Italian, is the film of Joe Simpson documentary.

I only wish you good vision!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Movie: North Face - A true story (on the North of Eiger) 29/09/2010 19:35 #736

Joe Simpson documentary film is also available on UTube (divided into several sections). Staying on the theme Eiger North, who remembers the spy movie played by Clint Eastwood "The Eiger Sanction"? I saw it, baby, when it came out in theaters in 1975. In recent years he has had some television appearances on smaller networks. Very beautiful and realistic mountaineering scenes (the great Clint would not stunt doubles) acclimatized in Monument Valley in Arizona, and, indeed, the Eiger. Memorable scene, one of the last of the film, where Hemlock (Eastwood) after a terrible flight remains hanging in the void in the middle of the wall in front of the railway service window ... A fumettone, okay, but where the climbing scenes denoted a certain attention to detail that is left still appreciate today in so many years.
Place the movie poster (original title "The Eiger sanction").

Re: Movie: North Face - A true story (on the North of Eiger) 29/09/2010 23:05 #737

In addition to 4000 also collect a bit 'of films, including I own "The Eiger Sanction". Like you I think it's a fumettone, but since there is so little on the mountain in circulation, could not miss in my video store. However at the time he was a great success and made the school into that kind of action movie.

Re: Movie: North Face - A true story (on the North of Eiger) 29/09/2010 23:35 #738

Big Clint!

Here the movie trailer:

www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi915144985/

Re: Movie: North Face - A true story (on the North of Eiger) 30/09/2010 14:58 #739

Documentaries about the Eiger, personally I think the absolute best is that of "The Tales of the mountain - Switzerland. The Eiger Legend" with the participation of Patrick Gabarrou and protagonists of the first ascent.

Other interesting documentaries, but in the original language, are those of Christophe Profit (1987) and Leo Dickinson with Eric Jones (... gorgeous).

I also suggest the documentary Ignazio Piussi "Thief mountains" because the great climber tells of his many attempts Eiger (... stubbornness uncommon).

In conclusion, I believe the Eiger North demonstrates how culture inevitably end up intersecting with nature, giving it an added value. In practice, I think that the events consumed on this daring side have increased the charm of the mountain itself.

Re: Movie: North Face - A true story (on the North of Eiger) 05/10/2010 17:34 #741

North Face have previewed grace to CAI BG last year in an arthouse cinema.
GORGEOUS!
I saw him again ...
(Because in the first run was in German subtitled: twisted:)

What about instead of the eternal "5 Days One Summer" with the great Sean Connery? I must have seen 5 times ;-)

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds